City Editor Jordan here. It wasn’t until this weekend that I learned there are coyotes on the American River Parkway — through a firsthand experience when one trotted across the path in front of me and my dog.
If you see one of these local canines — which are apparently fairly common — make sure to follow these tips from the American River Parkway Foundation:
- Don’t approach it (honestly, can’t believe this needs to be said).
- Don’t run — this may trigger a predator-prey instinct in the animal, so instead wave your arms and make loud noises.
- Keep your dog on a leash — the coyote may see it as competition, or even food if it’s small enough.
- Don’t leave kids or pets unattended (this is just pretty good advice in general for walking along the parkway).
- If you see a coyote that’s acting aggressive, call park rangers at 311.