Table of Contents
Looking to meet your New Year’s resolution in Sacramento? From feeling fit to giving back, check out our local resolution recommendations below.
Join a gym 💪
- The Capital Athletic Club | 1515 Eighth St., Sacramento | Serving Downtown Sac for more than 35 years, this 52,000-sqft facility includes a 25-yard swimming pool, spas, group classes, and more.
- East Sac Fitness | 4471 D St., Sacramento | This gym’s hybrid classes offer personalized goals and training sessions without the personal training price tag.
- Urijah Faber’s Ultimate Fitness | 6700 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento | Whether you want to step into the ring or just feel your best, these MMA-inspired workouts will help you get there.
Read more books 📚
- Beers Books | 915 S St., Sacramento | Since 1936, Sacramentans have been snagging books from these shelves — which plan to move to a new location at 712 R St. in the spring.
- East Village Bookshop | 3604 McKinley Blvd., Sacramento | Kids can join the Afterschool Reading Club to enjoy crafts and activities along with their favorite stories.
- Capital Books | 1011 K St., Sacramento | Browse three floors of books, games, and toys at this Downtown shop.
Explore your city 🌇
- Lake Natoma Loop Trail | Multiple locations | Explore oak woodlands —relics of Gold Rush history — along this paved trail located in the Folsom Lake State Recreation Area.
- Old Sac Underground Tours | 101 I St., Sacramento | Learn how historic flooding prompted city leaders to raise the streets of Sacramento by up to 20 feet in the late 19th century.
- Sacramento Kings home games | 500 David J Stern Walk, Sacramento | “Light the Beam” as part of the city’s latest tradition following a Kings victory.
- SMUD Museum of Science and Curiosity | 400 Jibboom St., Sacramento | Passionate about science communications? Volunteer at Sac’s newest museum to help support its offerings like the planetarium.
- Front Street Animal Shelter | 2127 Front St., Sacramento | Submit an application with the city to assist Front Street how you want to, whether that’s fulfilling front-of-house needs, helping with off-site adoption events, or serving as a foster parent for cats and dogs.
- River City Food Bank | 1800 28th St., Sacramento | Assist with food prep and food distribution for low-income families, the elderly, refugees, and all people experiencing food insecurity.
Shop local 🛍️
- Phono Select Records | 2475 Fruitridge Rd., Sacramento | The self-identified “friendliest record store in Sacramento” sells new and used vinyl, as well as vintage tapes, secondhand CDs, and a rich collection of 45s from local bands.
- V. Miller Meats | 4801 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento | This butchery — whose owner was once the lead chef instructor at Le Cordon Bleu — offers pasture-raised beef, pork, lamb, and more.
- Upscale Thrift | 2590 21st St., Sacramento | This Curtis Park “boutique style” thrift shop — which has a second location in Carmichael — sells gently worn clothing, accessories, artwork, and more to support local nonprofit Free Will Foundation.