While July marks the start to the dog days of summer — which both refers to the season’s harsh heat + the period when the sun and “dog star” Sirius occupy the same region of sky — you won’t have to do a lot of digging for cool things to do this month in Sacramento.
That’s because it’s absolutely brimming with Sacramento must-dos. We’re barking (er, talking) Fourth of July celebrations, movie festivals, and big-name musicians like Chaka Khan + TLC taking center stage. Read on for all the top events this July.
- Red, White, & Brew | Mon., July 4-Tues., July 5 | 6-12 a.m. | Drake’s: The Barn | Prices vary | Enjoy stunning views of fireworks by the Sacramento River as you sip on locally-made brews, enjoy a live DJ set, and — after 9 p.m. — groove to a silent disco. 🎇
- Print Sale + Zine Fair | Sat., July 9-Sun., July 10 | Times vary | Verge Center for the Arts, 625 S St. | Free | Explore zines, etchings, screen prints + more at the Southside Park art gallery.
- Great American Triathlon | Sat., July 16 | 8 a.m. | 5700 Arden Way | Prices vary | Calling all cyclers, paddlers, and runners — support the American River Parkway Foundation at this 24.42-mile course in a relay team or individually. 👟
- Skate ‘N’ Brunch | Sun., July 17 | 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | The Rink, 2900 Bradshaw Rd. | $7+ | Let the good times roll at the rink + enjoy eats from vegan food vendors. 🛼
- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind | Wed., July 20 | 7 p.m. | Tower Theatre | $11.50 | Part of a month-long “Studio Ghibli Festival,” catch the acclaimed debut feature from the director of “Spirited Away” + “Princess Mononoke.” 📽️
- TLC | Thurs., July 28 | 8 p.m. | Cal Expo | Prices vary | Do go chasing “Waterfalls” — catch the multi-platinum, award-winning R+B group perform during the California State Fair’s Toyota Concert Series. 🎶
Did we miss one of your favorite events? Let us know by submitting it.