Summer — the season of neighborhood cookouts, popsicle juice dripping down sticky fingers, and road trips. Call us car-azy, but this season brings us an abundance of nostalgia, especially when it comes to driving down the highway while blasting Tom Petty’s “Free Fallin’.”
That’s why we’re excited to kick off Hit the Road. In this summer road trip series, we will feature three destinations throughout June, July, and August — each with its own theme. We’ll be talking outdoor adventures, 50-mile getaways, and something for the foodies.
Before you pack your bags, here are some of our recommendations to prepare locally:
🥤 Stock up on road trip essentials
Swing by one of these River City spots to stock up on snacks, drinks, and coffee to minimize your stops during the road trip.
- Corti Brothers | 5810 Folsom Blvd. | Stock up on snacks + grab a gourmet deli sandwich from this East Sac grocery store.
- The Candy Barrel | 118 K St. | Sweeten your whole trip with 70+ kinds of salt water taffy and 40+ flavors of Jelly Bellies.
- Grace Coffee Roasters | 1215 K St. | Need to leave early? Stop by Grace Coffee Roasters for tea, coffee or a smoothie along with a variety of breakfast food options.
- Bonus: Grab a fun road trip game at Strapping Store.
🎶 Create a road trip playlist
Explore these local artists + add some of their tunes to your road trip rotation.
- Mediocre Cafe, “Easy Listening”
- Vinnie Guidera & The Dead Birds, “Live From Three Houses”
- The Countermen, “What’s Expected”
- Bonus: Listen to a local podcast.
🚘 Get your car ready
Check the fluids + car battery. If you notice anything out of the ordinary or need a last-minute oil change before you go, head to one of these local car shops.
- John Ellis & Son, 910 19th St.
- University Automotive, 2111 Northrop Ave.
- Paul’s Automotive, 1922 O St.
- Bonus: Find the cheapest places to fill up your gas tank
🐶 Don’t forget about fido
Be sure to line up accommodations for your pet while you’re away. Reach out to one of the many local pet sitters or pet boarding facilities. Here are a few: