SACtoday City Editor Jordan here, and when I’m looking to get away, one of my favorite places to go is Palm Springs — not only to feel like a movie star on vacation, but for its incredible weather, activities, and food. Use these tips to act like a local in between long sessions of poolside lounging.
- Palm Springs has been the desert getaway for Hollywood royalty for nearly 100 years.
- Need to warm up during the winter? Palm Springs has an average high of ~70° from December to February.
- Press play on the Palm Springs International Film Festival, which runs Thursday, Jan. 5-Monday, Jan. 16 and features guests like Colin Farrell and Anna Kendrick.
Act like a local:
- Food: Head to Tac/Quila and pair a Jalisco Mule (tequila, lime and watermelon juices, simple syrup, ginger beer, and mint) with the Stuffed Guerito Peppers, made with chorizo, oaxaca cheese, and chipotle mayo.
- Drink: Stop by the RetroRoom Lounge to show off your karaoke skills.
- Outdoors: Hike through Joshua Tree National Park where you can explore the beauty of the desert’s flora and fauna.
- Learn: Check out the Palm Springs Air Museum and see its latest exhibit — Walt Disney’s Grumman Gulfstream I plane.
- Listen: The Greater Palm Springs area plays host to two of the nation’s premier music festivals: Coachella and Stagecoach.
- Explore: Use the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway to get an unrivaled view of the region.