If you or someone you know deals with Celiac Disease, gluten intolerance, or you’re just not feeling wheat —you know that finding gluten-free options can be tricky.
To that, we say — piece of cake. These are five local spots with offerings that, gluten intolerance or not, we think everyone will enjoy.
💯 Fully gluten-free
Pushkin’s Bakery | 1820 29th St., Sacramento
- Family-owned bakery with a completely gluten-free menu
- Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Try this: New Yorker sandwich made with cashew pepper jack cheese + homemade gluten-free bread
Sibling by Pushkin’s |1813 Capitol Ave., Sacramento
- A Pushkin’s establishment that offers gluten-free and vegan versions of brunch classics
- 8 a.m.-3 p.m., open seven days a week
- Try this: Shakshuka bowl with spiced tomato sauce + baked eggs
Babes Ice Cream & Donuts | 2417 J St., Sacramento
- Another Pushkin’s Bakery establishment that serves vegan and gluten-free dessert with a monthly rotating menu
- 8 a.m.-9 p.m., open seven days a week
- Try this: The fluffy apple fritter + decadent tiramisu ice cream
✅ Gluten-free options + substitutions available
Mikuni Japanese Restaurant & Sushi Bar | Various locations
- Local chain that has a separate, dedicated gluten-free menu
- Hours vary by location
- Try this: Refreshing aerojet roll with cucumber and tuna
Tower Café | 1518 Broadway, Sacramento
- Global cuisine with a great selection of gluten-free options
- Monday and Tuesday 8 a.m.-3 p.m.; Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday 8 a.m.-9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday 8 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Try this: Thai green curry with sautéed chicken + steamed rice
Did we miss one of your favorite spots? Let us know.