When we say public libraries are magic, we’re not just speaking to bookworms.
Outside of the endless shelves of printed knowledge, fantastical escapes, and harrowing journeys, the Sacramento Public Library has amassed a huge catalog of other offerings.
Here are some of the coolest resources available at the library for card holders — and some for those without one. Pro tip: Library cards are free.
Make an appointment
The people at the library aren’t just there to help you find books. Try out:
- In-person or virtual tutoring for adults
- Accessibility services for anyone who may need a book mobile visit, texts in braille, sensory programs, and more
- Digital service assistance from a tech helper over the phone or in-person
- Live Homework Help for academic tutoring
- Explore your genealogy with an expert or scroll through its digital genealogy resources
Enjoy these bounties from home:
- Instant reading material from an array of e-book and audiobook apps
- Language courses from Mango
- Movie, music, and TV streaming with Hoopla
- Find books similar to those you’ve already enjoyed with NoveList
- Troubleshoot car problems with digital repair manuals
Take it home
Books aren’t the only thing you can check out. You can also reserve:
- A free State Parks pass to explore the great outdoors
- Rentable household tools, instruments, and games — like a sand belter, DSLR camera, and corn hole — at the Arcade, Fair Oaks, and Valley Hi-North Laguna libraries
Getting down to business
Professionally minded individuals can benefit from:
- Meeting or study rooms
- Free mobile or wireless printing
- Access to market research analytics for entrepreneurs
- Resume feedback and career development events
No card needed
Little bit of a procrastinator? Here’s what you can enjoy without a library card:
- Any of the library’s scheduled classes, author talks, and its Book Talks series
- Free, on-site WiFi + desks
Want more? The library has a list of even more resources on its news page.