It’s officially summertime, Sacramento. It’s also 100° outside through the coming weekend, and that can be rough on everyone, especially the little ones. Don’t sweat, we’ve picked out three wet + wild activities to cool you and the kids off with during this week’s heat wave.
🌊 Wake Island Waterpark, 7633 Locust Rd.
- Billing itself as the largest aqua park of its kind on the West Coast, Wake Island boasts tons of activities for kids + adults, including an aquatic obstacle course, hamster wheels, VIP cabanas, and boatless wakeboarding where guests are pulled by a suspended cable.
- Pro tip: Book your activities + sign a waiver before arriving early to maximize your visit.
🛶 American River Raft Rentals, 11257 S Bridge St.
- Summer in the River City of course means rafting down the American River. You can snag a tube or kayak if going alone, or pile into a raft with your squad of up to 12. While their Sunrise location is open seven days a week, their new Sailor Bar location is only open on weekends.
- Pro tip: The float lasts 4-5 hours, so be sure to bring snacks, water + sunscreen to stay safe and comfortable.
⛲ Spray Parks, locations vary
- The city operates 12 spray parks between Memorial Day and Labor Day that are free + open to the public. Running from 10 a.m.-8 p.m., these are perfect if you need to let your kids burn off some excess energy after being stuck inside the air-conditioned house all day.
- Heads up: The spray parks at Jefferson Park, Witter Ranch, and Wild Rose Park are currently undergoing repairs.
If these sound like too much effort in this heat — which we completely understand — then check out our guide on local ways to beat the heat, and remember to stay hydrated.